McAfee Reported That People Inside Organizations Caused 43% of Data Loss – At Least Half of Those Incidents Were Accidental.
Almost half of all incidents of data loss resulted from employees mishandling sensitive information. Over the past few decades, technology has become an increasingly vital part of the modern workplace. Nowadays, we depend on technology to enable email correspondence, collaborative work documents, financial transactions, and ultimately, almost all aspects of our professional lives. When these lines of communication are compromised, data can be lost or stolen – resulting in an incredibly costly situation that involves:
- Significant costs associated with restoring data
- Productivity losses due to extended system outages
- Reputation damage and loss of customer trust
- Hefty fines and lawsuits
That is why cybersecurity policies are crucial to help you prevent insider activity from resulting in data loss, whether it is intentional or not. Your employees are your first line of defense, but if they are not given the tools and processes they need to safeguard sensitive data, they are unable to keep you safe.
Discovery IT Offers Cybersecurity Policy Consulting Services to Help You Create, Adopt, and Implement an Effective Plan Against Attacks. We work with Businesses All Throughout Southeast Texas. Call (409) 727-7080 Now.
Our cybersecurity policy consulting services are designed to be practical and effective against all types of threats – minimizing the risk of employees accidentally or intentionally mishandling sensitive data. This offering includes the following elements:
- Create security policies: Establish security practices and policies, such as password best practices, internet usage, mobile device usage, and more to protect sensitive information.
- Educate employees: Provide ongoing training in terms of how to handle and protect personally identifiable information and other sensitive data.
- Update systems: Install anti-virus and anti-spyware software to protect against viruses, spyware, and other malicious code while installing key software patches and updates as soon as they’re available.
- Secure networks: Safeguard your internet connection with firewall security, as well as setup a wireless access point or router with password protection and the capability to avoid broadcasting the network name for greater protection.
- Limit access: Setup access control measures to ensure employees only have access to the data and/or systems they need to do their jobs while ensuring employees cannot install software without permission.
- Strengthen passwords: Work with employees to ensure they have the password management system necessary to follow password best practices in regards to using strong, complex passwords, as well as multi-factor authentication and failed attempt lockout.
- Create backups: Backup data automatically onsite and in the cloud on a regular basis (at least weekly) with copies created of all critical data, such as electronic spreadsheets, databases, financial files, and more, including backup integrity testing procedures and disaster recovery plans.
- Secure mobile devices: Enforce a standard across all mobile devices wherein all users are required to password protect their mobile devices, as well as encrypt all data and install security applications to protect information while connected to public networks.
- Control physical access: Outline rules regarding the physical access of computers, including the requirement to lock computers when they’re unattended and use separate accounts for each employee.
- Protect payment cards: Work with banks to ensure the most trusted and validated tools and anti-fraud services are being used for all company payment cards while isolating payment systems from other less secure programs.
Get Started with Our Cybersecurity Policy Consulting Services for Businesses Throughout East Texas. Call (409) 727-7080 Now.
- 1 McAfee Reported That People Inside Organizations Caused 43% of Data Loss – At Least Half of Those Incidents Were Accidental.
- 1.1 Discovery IT Offers Cybersecurity Policy Consulting Services to Help You Create, Adopt, and Implement an Effective Plan Against Attacks. We work with Businesses All Throughout Southeast Texas. Call (409) 727-7080 Now.
- 1.2 Get Started with Our Cybersecurity Policy Consulting Services for Businesses Throughout East Texas. Call (409) 727-7080 Now.